Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Prostitute

One of my first criminal clients was a woman who had been charged with prostitution. I was taken aback when I first walked out into the reception area to greet her because she looked like one of my cousins. She wasn't thank God. She also brought her 3 week old baby with her. I brought her back to my office and began discussing the charge against her. I had never represented anyone on prostitution before so I had to excuse myself to ask my boss what we would charge to represent her. When I came back into my office, she had her shirt off and was breast feeding the baby. But that isn't what shocked me the most. As I walked back around my desk to sit down, she reached down into the diaper bag, pulled out a 40 ounce can of Milwaukee's Best and started drinking. And that's when I decided it was time to show her the door....

No comments:

Post a Comment